Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Osaka Castle

hatsu2507

Both of these draincovers are from Osaka, and both feature what is probably the main tourist attraction of the city, Osaka castle.

osaka4634

The current castle is a modern, concrete reproduction complete with elevators. The original tower was destroyed during the Meiji Restoration but was rebuilt in 1928. Subsequently damaged by bombing during WWII it was finally reconstructed in 1997.

osaka4627

Originally built in 1583 by Toyotomi Hideyoshi. Following the Siege of Osaka in 1614, Tokugawa Ieyasu finally defeated the Toyotomi the following year.

kyoto10

The castle is huge and grand, but more interesting to me visually are the walls constructed in a style known as Burdock Piling which is constructed without mortar and able to withstand earthquakes.

osaka4636

3 comments:

  1. I don't often comment but this a topic that I'm particularly interested in. As much into castles as I am, I am no fan of the Tenshu of this castle; noting would be much more appealing to me. The walls (an moats) though are a completely different story. They are a marvel.

    Anyway, thanks for posting.

    ReplyDelete